General General forums for the GTR community.

The official pre-order thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:07 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Charles
There are still some to be had without massive markups, but you have to look quite a bit. We will be waiting for ours since we cannot do the big markups and do not need the very first one.
That is encouraging to say the least. My military salary doesn't lend much space for fattening some salesman's/ Dealership's pockets. I have to shop very intelligently and make well calculated decisions with my money. This will be my last sports car purchase so why not make it something as awesome as an R35 GTR. I am just happy that my GTR will compete with all of my friends that have Porsches and Corvettes Z06's.

-Nate
Old 02-12-2008, 07:05 AM
GTRForums Staff

For those that are not aware, pre-ordering has officially started. You can check the list and link the the stickied thread for what dealers will carry the GTR
Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 AM

As a dealership representative, I would like to offer our side of the story when it comes to additional mark-up of the GTR. With all of the information available to consumers today, it has become more and more difficult to make a profit on the sale of a new car. We have customers coming into our showroom every day intent on buying a vehicle at, or usually below dealer cost. Because you can find these vehicles on every corner, dealers are forced to bid against each other and take many deals at a TRUE NET LOSS. I have been in the auto industry for almost 10 years, and this is the first vehicle that I have been involved with that will bring sticker +. It is a rare occurence, and I feel that if someone owns a commodity that is in demand, they sould be able to sell it for whatever it will fetch. Nobody seems to have a problem paying less than msrp, so I think it is hypocritical to say it is wrong of a dealer to mark up over msrp. That is just one opinion. Take it for what it is worth.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 AM
GTRForums Staff

Originally Posted by BILL_HOOD_NISSAN
As a dealership representative, I would like to offer our side of the story when it comes to additional mark-up of the GTR. With all of the information available to consumers today, it has become more and more difficult to make a profit on the sale of a new car. We have customers coming into our showroom every day intent on buying a vehicle at, or usually below dealer cost. Because you can find these vehicles on every corner, dealers are forced to bid against each other and take many deals at a TRUE NET LOSS. I have been in the auto industry for almost 10 years, and this is the first vehicle that I have been involved with that will bring sticker +. It is a rare occurence, and I feel that if someone owns a commodity that is in demand, they sould be able to sell it for whatever it will fetch. Nobody seems to have a problem paying less than msrp, so I think it is hypocritical to say it is wrong of a dealer to mark up over msrp. That is just one opinion. Take it for what it is worth.
Absolutely.....but where do you draw the line between a fair market adjustment ad gouging. 20k+ IMO is just plane ridiculous on a car that cost 70. One of the factors that makes this car so attractive is that is beats out the 100k cars at a better price point. The reality is though that at 911 GT3 prices, its just not as appealing. I would also say its fine to charge a big premium to be one of the first, but after that is should be more reasonable.

Last edited by CharlesJ; 02-12-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 PM

Where do you draw the line?? That is a philosophical question. It ultimately lies in the hands of the consumer. For now, I am asking MSRP + 10K, but if someone offers me more, I surely wouldn't turn it down.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:13 PM
GTRForums Staff

10k markup well expensive, is far more reasonable than some. I can accept that as a more fair price for an early spot.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:56 PM

Well, I think a lot of the figures being thrown around online are grossly inflated. I have seen no evidence that any dealer is selling for 30-60K over. I talked to my GTR point person at Nissan Regional yesterday and she said they are receiving orders at 10-15k over list. She also said that while Nissan can't tell dealers what to do, it definitely would not sit favorably with them to go above that range.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:00 PM
spt
GTR Senior Member

Well, I think a lot of the figures being thrown around online are grossly inflated. I have seen no evidence that any dealer is selling for 30-60K over. I talked to my GTR point person at Nissan Regional yesterday and she said they are receiving orders at 10-15k over list. She also said that while Nissan can't tell dealers what to do, it definitely would not sit favorably with them to go above that range.
I was on a list for a GTR and was removed when I wouldn't pay the 30K minimum markup. They even said that the 30k may change as we get closer to delivery. They wouldn't agree to a set price and basically said I would probably be in a bidding war with the other 3 individuals in line as we approached the delivery date.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:33 PM

I suppose on the west coast the market is quite different. It may be worth taking the trip to a different part of the country to save 20k +. Did you ever get one ordered, or are you still in limbo?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:46 PM
spt
GTR Senior Member

I suppose on the west coast the market is quite different. It may be worth taking the trip to a different part of the country to save 20k +. Did you ever get one ordered, or are you still in limbo?
My order was placed with a dealer in Maryland. I was trying to get on a list with a dealer on the west coast but by then it was too late. Currently I'm in limbo.

Quick Reply: The official pre-order thread